Recently I took a pinhole camera to Alaska and exposed several negatives

on a developer-incorporated, B&W, variable contrast RC paper.

Upon my return, development of these paper negatives resulted in very
dense, very flat negatives, as if the whole negative had been uniformly
and heavily fogged.  This was a complete surprise because exposure and
development were exactly as I had done in the past with no problems.

My first thought was that the latent image had degraded in the six days
between exposure and development.  However, a subsequent test reveals
that while the latent image will change a little in six days, the change

is not nearly enough to explain this problem.

I also wondered if the airport carry-on x-ray machines had fogged the
paper, but unexposed paper that went through the x-rays has since been
used and shows no fogging at all.

Another thought is that maybe the abundant UV at higher latitudes had
simply overexposed the negatives.  With no glass to attenuate UV, the
UV-sensitive B&W paper negatives were exposed to the entire UV spectrum.

Do any of you have any answers, suggestions, thoughts as to why a
process that works fine here in sunny California would meet with such
disaster on a trip to Alaska???

Bob