Siarhei Siamashka wrote:

I agree with Soeren that treating one-channel images as though
r==g==b==a (ie it is a white premultiplied image) is much more useful
than as a black premultiplied image and should be done.

I was worried about the 'component alpha would become completely regular with
no need for the "component_alpha" bit in pictures' part. It sounded like this
case of 'using a 4-channel image as a mask is the same as using the alpha
channel' was considered to be dropped.

If an image is used as component alpha mask then it has to have 3 channels, not 4. I believe if there are 4 channels then the intention is to use the alpha channel only, rather than ignore it.