Hello everyone,

I'd like to briefly outline this year's guidelines for our program.
I'm really quite excited about this year's projects, and I'm sure we
are all looking forward to see where they go.

In previous years, communication has been a pretty big sticking point,
both for mentors and students alike. Last year, we requested that
students provide weekly status updates, either in a blog, to the list,
or somewhere else that is documented and publically accessible. This
year, we are changing that somewhat: we would still like to have
weekly status updates, but we are requesting that these be sent to the
plan9-gsoc@googlegroups.com mailing list.

Status reports are not strictly mandatory per program guidelines, but
keeping everyone informed of the status of your project is not only a
good way to keep yourself in check, but also so that there is a place
available that clearly documents your progress. It's sometimes quite
fun to read up on those sorts of things later. It also helps us as an
organization to see where students are and to see if we can offer you
any help as needed.

For code, we are suggesting one of two things:

1) Create an account on Google Code (http://code.google.com) and use
the publically available repositories there. They give you a choice
between Mercurial and Subversion.

2) Get an account on sources (emailing perhaps Sape or Geoff -- let us
know if you need assistance with contacting someone who can do this
for you) and keep your code there.

Take a moment to discuss with your mentor where you think your code
should live. When you've made a decision, please inform Anthony and /
or I so we can make that information public as well.

During the community bonding period (the upcoming month), please take
time to get to know your mentor (and mentors, please take time to get
to know your student). Your mentor may provide you with a practice
project, relevant documents to read, or perhaps spark some discussion
on some of the weaker points of your proposal. Please do get all the
timeline bits hammered out for what you'll be doing over the summer so
that we can fairly grade project progress during the midterms. Work on
your project begins on May 24th, so there's plenty of time for you to
get acquainted!

Looking forward to a wonderful and productive Summer of Code this
year. Congratulations again, and have fun!

--Devon