I'm not sure what I have reported to Ron and what I've sent to the group,
so I will report first on my current work, and then some more I might have
missed around the previous week.

After exchanging some emails with Ron I had the flash that the 5 separate
servers which dealt with various levels of HPS's control can be refactored
to all basically function the same as long as I can move a few special
variables into a hierarchically nested environment.  So by breaking this
out, all the model servers are the same except for a few specific handlers.
To help handle this I am setting up another little server which I can
query accessible variables (called envsrv)  for things like type, format,
size and deal with things like matrices and user definable structures.
This was all part of the original HPD, but the plan 9 abstractions are SO
much easier.  I am currently working on envsrv, and have most of the
underlying functionality working and a small regression test running for
it.

The regressing tests, as mentioned above, for now have been hand rolled in
custom programs and script-fu in the mmfiles.  Later, after GSoC, I will
look at setting up some regression testing tools.  There was a discussion
of Test Anything Protocol (TAP) which I found interesting, but it is
outside what I need to focus on at the moment.

Other than that, I learned that I had a broken installation and had wasted
a LOT of time fighting the system figuring that out.  I had trusted the
tools more than I should have and figured that the problems i was having
was just my lack of experience with using plan9.  Things are going much
better now.