Le lundi 27 avril 2020, 13:19:07 CEST Ben Cooksley a écrit :
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 11:12 PM Olivier Churlaud <oliv...@churlaud.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,

> > Thank you for having options and talking to us before implementing it.

> > > Does this mean that to clone it we'll have to go "git clone
> > > kde:games/knetwalk" or something along the lines?
> > >
> > > If that's the case I'd much prefer if we didn't do this, at the moment
> > > it's already uncomfortable for me to remember the URL for some of the
> > > repos (e.g. is it sysadmin/ or not?), this will only increase the
> > > problem and I personally don't see the advantage.
> > >
> > > e.g. Is okular graphics or office? Is gwenview plasma or graphics? Is
> > > krita graphics or its own thing?
> > >
> > > I really prefer when I don't have to guess this kind of things when
> > > fetching a repository.
> > >

> > I 100% agree with Aleix and I think it would also be detrimental for
> > discoverability, exactly for the examples Aleix just gave.
> >
> > We came back from this subgroups ideas some times ago : wiki pages were
> > hard to find because hidden under layers of groups. The same was true for
> > api documentations. Now everything is flat and I think it's easier to find.
> >
> > Another bad message could also be sent by this: instead of exposing Konsole
> > or Ark as two applications under the KDE umbrella, it would look like Utils
> > for KDE, bringing back the KDE Desktop idea (where every application is
> > already store in a submenu).
> >
> > As someone wrote later, if I'm looking for a given application, there is
> > always the search function...
>
> That requires that you know it exists. We have 1,043 mainline
> repositories at the moment, which translates to 53 pages of projects
> under a flat structure system.
> Reality is nobody is going to page through that looking for something.
>
> Please also see my point regarding listing merge requests at the group
> level - you can see an example of what a flat structure ends up
> looking like at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME
>
> For those projects that span multiple repositories, you have just
> denied them any chance or ability to see a listing of everything
> related to their wider project.

Maybe the middle ground would be to have applications and standalone libraries
stored flat, and things that go together in a group, the same we tried to
achieve on api.kde.org by defining products (either a repo or a group of
repos).

I guess that you would have
        PIM/<PIM libs>
        Frameworks/<KF5 libs>
        Elisa
        Okular
        Konsole
        Yakuake
        Marble
        KMyMoney

I don't know where Korganizer or KMail live (PIM or root?) and if games would
have their own subgroup or be considered as any other applications.

I don't know what others think, it's only my point of view

Cheers,
Olivier