On 27/10/11 22:36, Anton Kreuzkamp wrote:
On Thursday 27 October 2011 21:05:09 Craig Drummond wrote:
On 27/10/11 18:08, Anton Kreuzkamp wrote:
On Wednesday 26 October 2011 21:22:31 Craig Drummond wrote:
The user is prompted with a dialog showing the list of installed apps -
this is basically a copy of the "Open With" dialog. The user does not
need to manually find it in the filesystem.

Craig.
In this case it sound more sensible to me to find out why
KServiceTypeTrader doesn't find the desktop files
(TaskItem::launcherUrl()) and fix it. If I find the time for it, I can
investigate it.
When you have an app such as Wine, it is not always possible to match
the window class "Wine"/"App.exe" to the launcher - so as a fallback the
user is given the chance to explicitly set it.
Is it common to start wine without parameter? If not it could infact be done
automatically by using the executable with commandline-arguments to search for
an desktop file instead of the window-class like now
I don’t have an example here. But, I know I've seen a wine installed app where the Exec line in the desktop file did not have the same as /proc/pid/cmdline and the app name in the WM_CLASS did not match to a desktop file either.

But still, I agree - all cases should be catered for. I'm not arguing against that. All I was saying that *if* the automatic matching does not work, then *allow* the user to manually set it. If the automatic matching works, there is no issue.

Craig.