Am 2017-03-19 13:27, schrieb René J. V.  Bertin:
subsidiary question: QtCurve connects to certain signals that I think come from
KWin:

bus.connect("org.kde.kwin", "/KWin", "org.kde.KWin", "compositingToggled",
                this, SLOT(compositingToggled()));

This connect is broken. KWin no longer emits the signal on /KWin and neither in the org.kde.KWin interface.

If you need this I suggest to replace it by: KWindowSystem::compositingChanged signal

    QString arg0 = qApp? qApp->arguments()[0] : QString();
    if (!qApp || (arg0 != "kwin" && arg0 != "kwin_x11" && arg0 !=
"kwin_wayland")) {
        bus.connect("org.kde.kwin", "/QtCurve", "org.kde.QtCurve",
                "themeChanged", this, SLOT(borderSizesChanged()));
        bus.connect("org.kde.kwin", "/QtCurve", "org.kde.QtCurve",
"borderSizesChanged", this, SLOT(borderSizesChanged()));
        if (opts.menubarHiding & HIDE_KWIN)
            bus.connect("org.kde.kwin", "/QtCurve", "org.kde.QtCurve",
                        "toggleMenuBar",
                        this, SLOT(toggleMenuBar(unsigned int)));

KWin no longer takes org.kde.kwin, but org.kde.KWin. So the connects are 100 % broken.

The tweak to omit these connects in KWin itself comes from a Debian patch, I just added the connect to themeChanged() myself after noticing in the Aurorae
theme sources shipping with KWin 5.9.3 .

Are those connects still relevant, and should they indeed be excluded for KWin
itself?

Whether or not I cannot tell you as I have no idea what QtCurve used to do there. KWin does not have any /QtCurve installed. That's a question you would have to pass to QtCurve developers.

Cheers
Martin