ngraham added a subscriber: sharvey.
ngraham added a comment.

  Actually both Kicker and System Settings give their search fields visible
focus by default. Kicker does make the field visibly lose focus after you start
using the keyboard to navigate through the list of returned items, though.
That's a nice touch and I'll do that here.

  But maybe we should think through why we're objecting to having the search
field be visibly focused in the first place--because in general, the thing that
accepts keyboard input //should// look visibly focused. Rather than violate
that principle, let's try to figure out what's making us want to in the first
place.

  Perhaps the white background and blinking cursor appear too attention-getting
in comparison to the rest of Kickoff, which tries very hard to be flat and gray
and avoid separators (e.g. between the different sections and the tab bar at
the bottom or the header on top). I wonder if we wouldn't feel like the search
field was so jarring if there were better differentiation between other
elements. For example:

  F6212312: It works.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6212312>

  Or perhaps if the list views used a lighter background color:

  F6212335: It works.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6212335>

  Just a thought, crude mockups, etc.

  Also probably the header area will look better defined if @sharvey's patch to
put the avatars inside a circle (D13415 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13415>)
lands.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

To: ngraham, #plasma, #vdg, davidedmundson, abetts
Cc: sharvey, romangg, broulik, safaalfulaij, oysteins, filipf, abetts,
davidedmundson, michaeltunnell, plasma-devel, ragreen, Pitel, ZrenBot,
lesliezhai, ali-mohamed, jensreuterberg, sebas, apol, mart