hein added a comment.

  The idea and approach are good.

  But disk I/O in a UI hotpath is pretty scary. I do think a cache would be a
good addition.

  In general I think libtm could use some improvements on its currently very
coarse cache eviction scheme. It's mostly fine but there are some edge cases
where we end up doing I/O on things we know we haven't changed. Unfortunately
though improving that just means doing the legwork of going case-by-case and
the complexity it invites ... i.e. a cache here.

  (Slightly unrelated: I have the beginnings of a patch set that uses
KUserFeedback to gather telemetry on how often we use which identification
means and why. I have this persistent feeling that we're falling through to the
suboptimal/expensive code paths way more than we should currently, and there
are probably minor changes to do "higher up in the file" to fix that. One is
probably the neverending woes around normalizing for reverse DNS vs. plain
.desktop file names. But in general I'd love for my system to be able go give
me a trend curve for "Task Manager app identification expensiveness over time"
to I can see when there's new regressions and/or changes in the app landscape.)

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace

To: broulik, #plasma, hein
Cc: plasma-devel, LeGast00n, jraleigh, fbampaloukas, GB_2, ragreen, Pitel,
ZrenBot, himcesjf, lesliezhai, ali-mohamed, jensreuterberg, abetts, sebas,
apol, mart