On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:05:14PM +0100, John Marsden wrote:
> On 31 July 2014 09:09, Aaron Lu <aaron...@intel.com> wrote:
> > Please add acpi_backlight=vendor to kernel cmdline and see if that makes
> > the backlight work. What it does is to tell ACPI video module not to
> > create the acpi_videoX sysfs interface and let's see if X server will
> > pick up the intel_backlight one.
>
> Adding acpi_backlight=vendor to the kernel cmdline results in the
> brightness controls not working from first boot, not just after a
> suspend.

That probably because X server now picks the toshiba_acpi interface
instead of the intel_backlight one.

A workaround from user space is to specify the backlight interface you
want to use in xorg.conf, an example is here:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=78;att=0;bug=651741

Section "Device"
Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
Driver      "intel"
Option      "AccelMethod"     "sna"
Option      "Backlight" "intel_backlight"
Driver      "intel"
BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Alternatively, we can disable the acpi_video and toshiba_acpi interfaces
in the kernel so that only intel_backlight is available. I'm not sure
how to do this nicely, I've cc-ed platform x86 mailing list.

Regards,
Aaron