I'm getting incorrect simulated laser ranges in gazebo. The laser returns from
walls parallel to the robots orientation start to get consistently shorter
than they should be around 3.5 meters from the robot. This is a problem for
my work because this is a biased error (consistently short, not long).

Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone had any luck in reducing this
effect?

I'm using gazebo-0.8-pre3. I've modified by sicklms200.model to use 361 for
both rayCount and rangeCount. The same behaviour occurs with ray and range
counts set to 91,181, 361, and 721, though it the count does affect at what
distance these errors start creeping in. See attached for screenshots. In the
playerv screenshots, I've added a straight green line adjacent to the laser
returns to give a visual indicator of how far from accurate the laser returns
are. I originally had a gazebo screenshot attached also, but I couldn't get
useful version small enough to fit into the 40k email message limit.

Thanks,
        Cameron.

Attached (in bzipped tar archive):
laser_stepping2.png: playerv view with ray&range set to 361
laser_stepping3.png: playerv view with ray&range set to 91
Also attached are the gazebo worldfile and associated models