On 16/11/13 22:09, Jakub Bogusz wrote:
There is also some issue with blank X display (intel hardware); I'm
> > >not sure if it's related to kernel driver, new X.org server/driver or
> > >new gdm.
> >
> >It may be the GDM problem I wrote some time ago.
> >
> >Do you have GNOME/Metacity themes installed?
>
>There are metacity-theme-Simple and gnome-themes-standard and old
>gnome-theme package (2.34).
>GDM shows only blinking cursor (both on 2.6.38.8 and longterm-3.4.x;
>IIRC 3.10.x was even worse).
>
> >And with systemd GDM must be started from a systemd unit ??? testing
> >'manually' from root session won't work.
>
>No systemd running.
gdm 3.10 doesn't work regardless of kernel.
gdm2.20 + GNOME 3.10 generally works (although UX is worse than with
GNOME 2 for me... maybe I should try with MATE in this case)

MATE doesn't have DM, but i suggest try lxdm or lightdm. lxdm looks ugly, lightdm misses icons, but they at least work.

--
glen