> On Jan 12, 2017, at 12:51 PM, Elan Ruusamäe <g...@pld-linux.org> wrote:
>
> On 12.01.2017 19:20, Jeffrey Johnson wrote:
>> Otherwise:
>>      Did rpm-5.4.17 build correctly?
> yes. otherwise i wouldn't able to get the db error, right? :)
>
> anyway, i haven't looked yet the logs if proper db was linked, but i'm sure
> it was because there was no other db version available at build time. but
> need to check to be sure.

The issue has to do with explicit -I/usr/include/dbXY in CFLAGS and implicit
/usr/include for
        #include <db.h>
when /usr/include/dbXY is not present or is empty and “system db” != dbXY.

The wrong <db.h> (with different #define values) can be included, leading
to very bizarre/scary rpmdb failures at run time.

A proper fix to limit the include search somehow is a huge PITA (and so I
haven’t bothered).

But I see rpmdb issue(s) frequently while developing RPM on various platforms
that
aren’t yet setup correctly, sigh.

73 de Jeff