On 11.07.2023 20:30, Mateusz Kocielski wrote:
> Dnia Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 03:59:41PM +0000, Mateusz Kocielski napisaƂ(a):
> > > That's peculiar -- what screen locker needs suid bit for? Why wheel
> > > group?
> >
> > Wheel group is taken from my BSD heritage I guess, fixed it. :) It requires
> > PAM for an authentication.

> Hi,
>
>  those suid privileges were bothering me and I did my homework, it seems that
> on Linux i3lock can work without them because of the unix_chkpwd(8) utility.
> On the FreeBSD (which uses OpenPAM) however SUID is necessary [1]. The reason
> why I couldn't get it work without root privileges was /etc/pam.d/login
> file which is installed with u-r permission by default. I guess there's no
> need to keep it that way since PAM configuration rather not contain any
> secrets. I attached fixed version of the spec file and patch against
> util-linux to set u+r permissions. Thanks for your suggestions!

Override pam configuration shipped with i3lock with custom one that has:

auth       include      system-auth

just like (all?) other screensavers/lockers and it should be fine.

Other than this

1. Fix case in Summary:
2. Update required macros according to linked BuildRequires.txt (for
   %ninja_* macros)
3. Clone empty pld repository for i3lock or just create a local git
   repo, commit the spec and pam file and attach output of
   `git format-patch -1` so authorship will be preserved correctly when
   applying.