Ami Fischman wrote:

> Kevin Lawton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Unfortunately, you can't use the native BIOS.  It drives hardware specific
> > to your real computer.  The VM has its own set of emulated hardware
> > and its own BIOS.
>
> I kinda figured that, but was still holding out hope.
>
> > Do you know if the software is reading a BIOS serial number or
> > calling a BIOS ID service?
>
> I have no idea...  It's something that's meant to only check the type of
> machine (i.e. the disks from one Sony VAIO F560 are supposed to work on
> another, as I understand it, just not on any machine that's NOT an F560), so
> probably some sort of ID string.
> --
>    --Ami Fischman <[EMAIL PROTECTED] || http://www.fischman.org/ami>
>                         finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for public PGP/GnuPG key

I don't mean to be rude...., but the word bullshit comes to mind.  I have read
through all of the files that came with the OEM install of W98 on my VAIO
PCG-F160 (what I am using to write this mail) and there is nothing to prevent you
from using their install on something else--it will just be a real pain because
they made up a custom install script which you will have to circumvent by
hand.......
I any case, that is still bullshit. (and, by the way, not legal in many places in
the US, Canada, and Europe....).

Drew Northup, N1XIM