I bet that it's the WP bit. NT sets this. Write Protect and NE are the
only bits that differ from 95 in NT, except that MP is clear on NT and
set on 9x. MP makes faults happen on writes to read-only pages,
regardless of the cpl.

NE is about numeric exceptions or some thing, I think it uses IRQ13
instead of an int, or vice versa, or something rather...............

Do you want to to take a look at it?

Later....