On 30 August 2012 08:59, Dylan Jay <d...@pretaweb.com> wrote:
> Content items seems a clumsy way to create a taxonomy but I'm guessing you
> want to make use of the permissions system such that colour/* can be "owned"
> by one group and type/animal/bigcat/* could be some other group?

Yes.

> http://plone.org/products/atvocabularymanager/ which has tree like
> vocabularies. This uses content types as terms.

I have two issues with this product:

1) It's Archetypes-based and quite bloated.
2) It does not (attempt to) integrate with vocabulary components at all.

> Wouldn't it be a nicer UI to create and edit taxonomies in the control panel
> and then create a UI on top of that for assigning editing rights to parts of
> a taxonomy? Perhaps using rules like I've outlined above? Potentially a lot
> less clicking around and less confusing than having your taxonomy and
> content items mixed together. How would you hide the taxonomy content items
> from the public?

With a good base, a custom user interface can be built on top. But
with proper import/export, this might be unnecessary because there are
external tools that work with taxonomy and can offer a much better
user experience.

> Have you thought of upgrading ATVocabularyManager to use dexterity instead?

No.

I think it's a good time to start with something all new.

\malthe