Hi Alan,

> Is this long "import" process the step that takes so long in the official
> SourceForge process?  They mention 24-hours or more to complete the task.

Not really, I mean the svn import file is about 250Mb(!!) and it needs
some time to import it, but will need maybe 15 minutes or so. But my
hosting plan (shared) allows to have ssh access where I can do such
things, but they warn you not to use a lot of computing time, otherwise
they come and force me to use a dedicated server :). Therefore I stopped
it, since it took a long time even for this 250 releases.

> Before we do the conversion to subversion at SourceForge, I think we should
> at least provide an opportunity for PLplot developers to get familiar with
> svn. Could you (or somebody else) make a complete test PLplot subversion
> repository available for us to play with?

Because of the above reason, no, but what I want to try is to give the
path to the repository via the http:// address, so it's than uploaded
(don't know if this is less strain on the computing power but who knows)
but this I can do next week earliest.

> Alternatively, could you add
> instructions (probably about the exact "import" step that must be done) to
> your cookbook about how each of us could set up our own local test PLplot
> subversion repository?

svnadmin load path_to_repository/plplot_svn < svndump

> Some of the tests I would like to do for such a test repository are whether
> we could reproduce a number of our historical source releases and our
[...]
> epochs.  Reproduction of some of our historical tarball releases and our
> complete ChangeLog would help to satisfy me on this issue.
>
> In answer to your question, I think we should go ahead with the "conversion
> to subversion", but only after the next stable release (i.e., 5.8.0).  That
> gives the current shakedown process for our new CBS (i.e., the current
> on-going set of 5.7.x development releases) time to complete without
> interference from a repository format switch.  If there is a well-known
> deadline for the conversion after the 5.8.0 release, that should give plenty
> of lead time (see below) for our developers to play with subversion and do
> all the tests that they think our necessary.  Furthermore, if we do the
> conversion post-5.8.0, then that allows us to use the 5.9.x development
> cycle in part for working out any script issues (remember, many of our
> release scripts currently depend on cvs).

This sounds good to me.

Best Regards,
Werner

--