On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 07:58:01AM -0700, Alan Irwin wrote:
> On 2008-09-03 08:49+0100 Andrew Ross wrote:
>
> >Orion,
> >
> >I discussed this with Hez when implementing the cmake support for ocaml.
> >In my opinion a defaul build should have everything as a subdirectory of
> >the install tree prefix (CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX). What if you are
> >installing on a system without root access? What if you are testing
> >different versions? This is what we do for all other languages.
>
> I think a good compromise here is to use "ocamlc -where" results but with
> the
> install prefix substituted for the system prefix.  IIRC, this is what we do
> in the python case where we also have to deal with versioned and
> distribution dependent install directories.
>
> The result would be $prefix/lib/ocaml/3.10.2 on Debian
> and $prefix/lib64/ocaml on Fedora so both sets of packagers get the
> right result automatically when $prefix is /usr, and users who want/need
> a non-root install prefix are allowed to have one.

Alan,

Sounds like a good potential compromise. This is easy on UNIX where there
is a default /usr prefix. How will this work on other platforms where we
don't necessarily know what the prefix is, or even for cases where ocaml
is installed in a non-standard location?

The python sysconfig.get_python_lib function allows you to specify a prefix
and it will return a full library path. This makes life much simpler.

Andrew