Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2009-03-22 01:55-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:
>
>> Does this seem like a reasonable approach?
>
> Yes.
>
> I won't comment on the driver details since you are considerably more
> expert
> than me on this topic.  However, in general, I think your idea of
> substantially reducing and simplifying unicode text handling by the various
> device drivers by implementing and using core library functions for common
> text tasks is an excellent one.
>
> I advise you not do anything special for the device drivers that depend on
> plfreetype.  That first-generation approach for unicode font support was
> fundamentally important in our history because it opened our eyes to the
> fantastic unicode opportunities.  However, the plfreetype implementation
> has
> a lot of issues which I doubt we are going to fix because the
> second-generation approach for unicode font support using external
> libraries
> like pango/cairo and Qt4 is just so much better.  My guess is that we will
> be deprecating most/all devices that depend on plfreetype in the not so
> distant future which is why I am advising you not to make any special
> plfreetype effort with your current work.

Ok. I wasn't really thinking about plfreetype, but it is good to know
that I don't have to :).

Even though no one objected to adding 4 new functions to the dispatch
table, I'm thinking that is probably not the best way after all. Instead
I think the best way to do this is to add some new PLESC cases,
something like:

PLESC_BEGIN_TEXT
PLESC_TEXT_CHAR
PLESC_CONTROL_CHAR
PLESC_END_TEXT

Drivers can then chose whether they want to get all the text at once via
PLESC_HAS_TEXT, or broken out character by character by PLplot core via
the above.

best,
-Hazen