Hi Hazen,

On Jul 15, 2009, at 7:14 PM, Hazen Babcock wrote:

> (1) Do we have a minimum c++ version requirement? I couldn't find
> anything in the archives but when I tried to run cmake on svn head I
> get
> this error:
>
> CMake version = 2.6.4
> The CXX compiler identification is GNU
> CMake Error at cmake/modules/c++.cmake:57 (message):
>   C++ compiler absolutely required to build this project.
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>   cmake/modules/plplot.cmake:127 (include)
>   CMakeLists.txt:82 (include)
>
> I also tried with 5.9.4 and I did not see this problem. I have the
> standard mingw c++ version 3.4.5, which is perhaps a little dated?

3.4.5 is fine, it was until recently the standard MinGW version - just
recently they released 4.4.4 (big step), but I don't think anybody
tested plplot with that version so it's best to stick with 3.4.5 which
is well tested. Did you install the the g++ compiler package? Did you
choose the correct generator for cmake? If you have MinGW without MSYS
you need to use the generator "MinGW Makefiles", if you compile inside
MSYS you need "MSYS Makefiles". The latter I think is chosen
automatically, but the MinGW Makefiles I believe not. How do you
invoke cmake and in MSYS or in cmd.exe?

> (2) When I try to run a python example I get "ImportError: No module
> named _plplotc". I have python2.6, numpy 1.3.0 and swig(swigwin?)
> 1.3.39. Is there anything special that I need to do to use Python/
> PLplot
> on windows?

I once tested Python 2.4 on Windows and it kinda worked. Wait - I
wrote a message that days and you can read it here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/plplot-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00129.html

maybe this thread is of any help for you, keep us posted.

Regards,
Werner

> thanks,
> -Hazen

> This is your chance to win up to $100,000 in prizes! For a limited
> time,
> vendors submitting new applications to BlackBerry App World(TM) will
> have
> the opportunity to enter the BlackBerry Developer Challenge. See
> full prize
> details at: http://p.sf.net/sfu/Challenge

Dr. Werner Smekal
Institut fuer Allgemeine Physik