On 2009-08-23 22:23-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> Tomorrow I plan to do comprehensive tests of all three build modes (shared
> libraries + dynamic devices, shared libraries + static devices, and static
> libraries and devices) for the Debian stable platform accessible to me, and
> I suggest others do that as well on all platforms that are accessible to
> them.  If those tests show no showstopper issues, then I am tentatively
> thinking that we could do the release next weekend (i.e., either Saturday,
> September 1st or Sunday September 2nd).

I have completed one of these build mode tests so far (shared libraries +
dynamic devices), and I had to comment on the vastly improved postscript
differences that test revealed.  Here are the full results:

c++
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :
f77
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :
f95
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :
java
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :
octave
   Missing examples            :  19
   Differing postscript output :
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :
python
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :
tcl
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :  16 19 21 29
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :  21
perl
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :  03 16 19 29
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :  14
ada
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :  17 19 29
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :
adathick
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :  17 19 29
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :
ocaml
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :
lua
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :
   Missing examples            :
   Differing postscript output :
   Missing stdout              :
   Differing stdout            :

Many languages are perfect now, and I thank everyone who helped to make that
happen.  I don't think we should delay the release for the remaining issues
shown above, but it "would be nice" if most of them got addressed before the
release.

* I understand the long-standing missing example 19 issue for octave is a
difficult one to solve so realisticaly fixing that issue will probably have
to be put off until post release.

* Arjen and Andrew are still working on precision issue for tcl.  Once those
are corrected and bindings and examples upgraded to be consistent with the
updated C API tested by the updated C examples, the remaining tcl issues
should go away or at least greatly simplify.

* The perl issues require Doug Hunt to update his external PDL/PLplot
bindings, and also update the examples to be consistent with the C API
and example updates.

* The "red" issue that generated quite a bit of e-mail over the weekend is
completely gone for Ada, but there is still some more work for Jerry to do
on the Ada bindings and examples to achieve consistency with the recent
additions to the C API and the tests of that API that occur in the updated C
examples 17, 19, and 29.