On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Alan W. Irwin<ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
> On 2009-08-24 00:33-0500 Hezekiah M. Carty wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Alan W.
>> Irwin<ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here are some comments on the present development issues I am aware of:
>>>
>>> * Hez mentioned the off-screen rendering patch in response to your post
>>> but
>>> didn't give an estimate of how long that would take.  If that turns out
>>> to be
>>> long, I don't think we should delay the release for it.
>>
>> I should have been clearer about this in my previous response.  I am
>> mainly waiting for comments on the patch and the changes it introduces
>> at this point.  I would be happy to apply it now if it gets the ok
>> from multiple other developers.  It changes the behavior of xcairo
>> though, so I don't want to commit the change to trunk without
>> something of a consensus.
>>
>> Simply, I am happy with the patch as it is.  If others are as well
>> then I am ready to commit it.  If not, then it can wait until
>> post-release.
>
> Hez, to quote from your previous post about this patch:
>
> "The compiled PLplot examples illustrate the speedup  (particularly
> examples 11, 16 and 20) and flicker-free rendering (example 17) quite
> nicely.  The shortcoming of not seeing the plot updates until a flush
> becomes most noticeable when using the xcairo driver interactively,
> say from an interactive Octave, OCaml or Python session.  This lack of
> interactive updates could be worked around with threading similar to
> the pthread use in the xwin driver.  The xwin threading code is quite
> lengthy and complicated though, so this would likely be a fairly
> significant task."
>
> I use -dev qtwidget (which is comparable in speed to -dev xwin for most
> examples) so I don't have strong feelings about -dev xcairo.  However, as a
> general comment, that interactive session drawback doesn't sound too bad a
> price to pay for the other advances in speed especially when there is a
> future possibility with threads to take care of the interactive session
> drawback.
>
> Hazen is the one who wrote most of cairo.c so if this patch is okay with
> him, it is okay with me.

I agree with your comments here, Alan.  I certainly feel that the
speed increase outweighs the lack of pre-flush automatic updates.

> Please go ahead and apply Hez's patch to your local source tree, and let us
> know whether you like how that patch changes the -dev xcairo user
> experience. I assume Hez will commit the patch or hold off until
> post-release based mostly on your evaluation since I don't think anybody
> else has tried his patch yet.

Yes, if Hazen is ok with the changes the patch implements then I will
apply it.  Otherwise it will most likely wait until post-5.9.5.

Hez

--
Hezekiah M. Carty
Graduate Research Assistant