I've resumed trying to get the callback to plslabelfunc working in Ada
(example 19). I'm returning a pointer to an array of chars that is
"length" (which seems to be hardwired to 40) long, including the null
character terminator. The significant characters are right-justified
within the array (except for the null). I've tried to emulate the
behavior of snprintf. However, every time the callback happens, I get

UTF-8 string is malformed: UTF-, aborting operation

I haven't fully dug into the logic leading up to this output line but
it seems to be a series of tests for font or character handling.

The above results happen when postscript or svg is selected--the
output files are created but without labels. FWIW, if I select the
null or fig output device, these error messages do not appear. If X-
Window is the output (and I run from xterm in OS X), there are no
error messages and the plots are created but without labels. Any ideas?

Jerry