On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Alan W. Irwin
<ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
> It is unlikely we will ever move to full OCaml CMake language support
> because of a number of special issues with the OCaml build tools that don't
> fit into the CMake language paradigm (e.g., a special build subdirectory is
> required when building the bindings).  Therefore, our OCaml build must rely
> on fundamental add_custom_command and add_custom_target methods which
> necessarily have lots of dependency complications.  The previous
> implementation did not deal with those complications correctly, but as far
> as I know the dependencies are dealt with correctly now (revision 10396).
> For example, if I touch src/libplplotd.so.9.7.0 in the build tree on Linux,
> the OCaml bindings automatically rebuild which then triggers an automatic
> rebuild of the OCaml examples.  If I then run make again, no rebuilding of
> anything having to do with OCaml is done (the correct result which was not
> achieved before). So I am satisfied by the OCaml results I see, but please
> test on all platforms.
>
> BTW, I checked that "make clean" works perfectly for the OCaml bindings for
> CMake-2.6.4. There was a comment in bindings/ocaml/CMakeLists.txt that the
> "clean" target did not properly remove the special _build subdirectory. That
> is certainly removed now by "make clean" so it appears there was an issue
> with that directory removal for an older CMake version that is now fixed
> with 2.6.4.

Alan,

Thank you for making these changes.  This will hopefully reduce the
number of "make clean"s I have to run while working on the OCaml
bindings.

In the past we have discussed moving away from ocamlbuild and using
ocamlc/ocamlopt directly for building the OCaml bindings.  This is
already done for the examples.  Do you, or anyone else, have time to
work on this with me?  If it helps simplify the build process and
dependencies then it would be nice to have in place before the 5.10.0
release.

Hez

--
Hezekiah M. Carty