On 2009-09-24 21:34+0100 Andrew Ross wrote:

> plexit calls plend _after_ the exit handler is called, and so if the exit
> handler
> throws an exception plplot will not call plend to tidy up and free memory.
> Provided
> that you do this yourself in your handler then you _should_ be ok.
>
> Of course, we would need to check all code paths with plexit in to make sure
> they
> don't leave any locally allocated memory unfreed. I don't know whether this
> is the
> case. It has probably never been thoroughly tested since we only tend to run
> valgrind on the examples which are set up not to generate any errors.

Sorry for entering late to this conversation.  I may have missed some key
piece of information earlier in the thread, but let me ask a "dumb"
question, anyway. plexit ultimately calls exit, which AFAIK immediately
exits without returning control to the routine that called the plplot
library in the first place. So plexit should be reserved (and I think it
normally is) for truly catastrophic errors where no means exist to recover.
For that case where a castrophe is occurring anyway, why are we concerned
about memory management issues?  Why does plexit even bother to call plend?
Shouldn't it just send a message about the castrophic error and exit?