On 2010-01-29 09:51+0100 Arjen Markus wrote:
> On 2010-01-28 21:21, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> However, it turns out I cannot even generate the tcl bindings source code
>> with tclsh8.3! Here is the relevant trailing part of the output of "make
>> VERBOSE=1".
>
> Oh, that is due to the use of "eq" for comparing strings. It was indeed
> introduced in Tcl 8.4 for the very common situation that you need a
> comparison between strings that are definitely not a representation of
> some number.
>
> That is easy to fix.

Thanks for that quick tclsh8.3 fix.  I now confirm a version inconsistent
mixture
of tclsh8.3 and Tcl8.4 libraries builds and tests without issues (other than
an embedded blank issue which is described in a previous post).

>> I did find one instance of a test recommended in
>> examples/tcl/README.tcldemos that uses tclsh.  My guess is incompatible
>> versions of tclsh and the Tcl libraries would wreak havoc on that
>> particular
>> test.  However, to check that you will have to run that particular test
>> from
>> the command line because I haven't yet (although I hope to do so in future)
>> included it in the test_noninteractive and/or test_interactive targets.
>>

> The initialisation routine checks for Tcl 8.1 - anything earlier is not
> supported. We do not use any new Tcl functions, as far as I am aware,
> so most probably all will work fine (due to the stubs mechanism). But
> that is something we need to find out. I will try this.

I just tried that direct tclsh8.3 test (which uses "package require Pltcl"
to load our tcl bindings which are linked to libtcl8.4.) I thought that
would wreak havoc because of the inconsistency between libtcl8.3 used by
tclsh and libtcl8.4 used by our tcl bindings, but that test sailed through
without issues (for the plplot_svn case described in my previous post).
Thus, it appears that no CMake version tests for tclsh are required. So I
have now removed that test (revision 10783) and anything else to do with
HAVE_TCL_GT_84 (since you removed that from our source code).

Thanks, again, for your tclsh8.3 fix.

I think this concludes this issue.