Hi, Hazen,

On Feb 6, 2010, at 8:40 , Hazen Babcock wrote:

> The gist of it is this statement:
> "if the CoreFoundation library's being initialized - perhaps as a
> result
> of that library being loaded as a dependent of some other library -
> and
> the current thread is not the initial thread, waste everyone's time by
> executing a breakpoint instruction."

It sounds like this occurs when a multi-threaded program that is not
linked with CoreFoundation dynamically loads a library that depends
on CoreFoundation from within a thread other than the initial thread.

> So, if you try to use Plplot with the Aquaterm driver, which in turn
> will try to load the CoreFoundation library, in a threaded environment
> your process will crash.

 From my reading of the article excerpted above, this is true only if
the program calls PLplot from a non-initial thread to load the
aquaterm driver.  And it's only true if executing the breakpoint
instruction causes a crash.  Maybe the breakpoint instruction gets
trapped somehow so that the main thread can load CoreFoundation?

Have you actually experienced a crash due to this on Snow Leopard or
are you expressing concern about a potential crash?

> Perhaps the onus is on us to somehow figure out
> if the CoreFoundation library has already been loaded and avoid
> reloading it? Or maybe that is just not possible?

If it's already been loaded, no problem.  If it hasn't been loaded
and PLplot loads the aquaterm driver, that will load CoreFoundation.

This is probably not unique to the aquaterm driver.  I think loading
the xcairo driver also ends up loading CoreFoundation if it hasn't
been loaded already, so that too would be subjected to this behavior.

Dave