On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Alan W. Irwin <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
> On 2010-03-06 13:41-0500 Hezekiah M. Carty wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 2:27 AM, Alan W. Irwin <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> In case I am running it correctly, and therefore there is some run-time
>>> issue for my platform, here is some additional data.
>>>
>> ...cut (this all look fine)...
>>>
>>> I hope you can help me either to (a) run the example correctly or
>>> (b) figure out the run-time errors if I am running it correctly.
>>>

>> The configuration pieces all look correct.  Using the latest
>> Subversion trunk (10856) the example runs without issue on my system
>> in the build tree using:
>>
>> ./xgtk_interfaceocaml
>>
>> I am running Ubuntu 9.10, with relevant libraries similar to yours.
>>
>> Looking through the error messages, this looks like something that
>> stems from the application being run across a network X connection.
>
>> [...]I have had similar problems in the past with forwarded X
>> applications.
>> If I recall correctly, the non-security-conscious approach is along
>> the lines of:
>>
>> xhost +localhost
>>
>> That said, I don't remember if this is supposed to be run on the
>> client or server :-)  I think localhost should be replaced by the
>> opposite system (server -> client or client -> server).
>>
>> I hope this helps.  Do any of the other Gtk-using examples show
>> similar problems?
>
> I ran the same test again directly on my fast machine so that the client
> (xgtk_interfaceocaml) was run on exactly the same machine as where the
> server is located (the X server is always located wherever the
> monitor/mouse/keyboard are attached).  So this direct way of running the
> test is not over the network and is identical to how you are running the
> above test.
>
> I thought your idea was a winner, but unfortunately the evidence is against
> that because the "direct" test got identical error messages except for the
> process id, (I checked that thoroughly by using sed to change back to the
> process id of the original set of messages.) I even played with xhost to
> allow the local host to connect to the server (which is redundant and should
> definitely not be needed), and still got the same set of error messages.

Drat.  There goes the simple option!

> What exactly did you mean by Gtk-using applications?

Any application which uses Gtk for its GUI.  Any Gnome application
would fall under this, as would the Gimp.  I'm not sure if anything
that isn't deprecated in PLplot uses Gtk from C.  Could you try
running Gimp or another Gtk-based GUI application from the same
command-line environment you are running xgtk_interfaceocaml from?
Everything I have read so far points to an X permissions issue.  I
unfortunately only have access to one system at the moment, so I can't
do much in the way of testing.

> -dev xcairo and all our other interactive tests run by the test_interactive
> target work fine for me (via the X-terminal and directly).  I haven't tried
> gcw recently (it is disabled by default), but it hasn't been an issue
> when I tried it before.

xcairo uses X libraries directly, so if this is a Gtk issue then it
shouldn't affect the xcairo device on its own.

> Unless we can find another example of a "Gtk-using" application with the
> same issue, my guess is my version of lablgtk2 (2.10.1) (or the version of
> some other system library I have on Debian Lenny) is just too old/buggy to
> support xgtk_interfaceocaml.
>
> What exact version of lablgtk2 are you using?  I could try building that
> here (assuming the dependencies aren't too horrific) to see if it made a
> difference.

While I am currently using lablgtk 2.12.0, I originally developed this
example while using 2.10.1 and I have not updated the example since
then, so that should not be an issue.  xgtk_interfaceocaml only uses a
few very basic Gtk calls to setup the window and its contents so even
very old versions of Gtk and lablgtk should be sufficient for that
example to function.  Debian Lenny should certainly be modern enough
to handle this.

I will dig in to this some more if other Gtk applications do not show
similar results on your system.  I may be able to setup an old desktop
for testing if I can find a working keyboard and mouse to go with it.

Hez