Example 6 on the PLplot website shows centered dots for codes 92 and
95 rather than the expected backslash ('\') and underscore ('_').
Code 94 shows as a degree symbol rather than a circumflex ('^'), but
at least that matches PGPLOT (see http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tjp/
pgplot/hershey.html).

FWIW, the docs for plpoin say "If code is between 32 and 127, the
symbol is simply the corresponding printable ASCII character in the
default font."

I think this could be fixed in the Hershey font mappings, but I
haven't yet tried to do so since I think it might be trivial for
others on the list to fix this or maybe it's even the intended behavior.

Dave