On 2010-04-12 13:51-0700 David MacMahon wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2010, at 12:16 , Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
>> I think it is time that we take advantage of that free map data rather than
>> limiting ourselves to just the four map data files that are currently
>> accessible from PLplot. Ideally the availability of free GIS data (along
>> with changes to plmap to allow access to those data) should allow us to
>> replace example 19 to provide examples of some really high-quality maps
>> that
>> are built directly from free GIS data by PLplot.
>
> I think this is a great idea!  My only caution would be to watch out for
> including too much GIS-specific functionality within PLplot.  IMHO, it would
> be preferable to use external (and externally maintained!) libraries if/when
> possible.

Agreed.  If somebody here decides to take this on, they should think very
carefully about the goal here and also discuss that goal on list. To get
some discussion going about what that goal should be, my own feeling, is we
don't want to expand the PLplot API to the point where it is attempting to
compete with the comprehensive GIS open source projects such as GRASS.
Instead, I believe we just want some simple functionality that lets our
users input 2-dimensional (e.g., outline maps like we have now only a lot
more of them) or 3-dimensional (e.g., height versus position) GIS data and
then lets our users play with that data in any way they like (say with
plgrid) before plotting it with the remainder of the PLplot API.

Assuming we agree on that simple goal, then all we need is some library to
give us simple access to 2D and 3D GIS data. I just did a cursory search,
and it appears there are at least two open-source libraries called OGDI and
GDAL which allow access to GIS data. There may be more.

Anyhow, I hope I have given the rest of you some food for thought here about
mapping possibilities with PLplot and GIS data.  Furthermore, I hope we get
a good discussion going about exactly what people would like to see in
example 19 which might help focus further discussion of exactly what the
PLplot mapping API goals should be.