I've been trying to tidy up some of the inconsistencies between different
interactive drivers on plplot. The xwin, tk, qtwidget and xcairo drivers
now all more or less have consistent handling of plGetCursor as far as is
possible.

The big outstanding issue in terms of the interactive examples in plplot
is the xor mode which is used by xwin and tk to draw then remove lines
while interactively selecting region in example 20 (also tested in
example 1). Now these days it seems that this is not the preferred way
of doing such things. Qt for example dropped support for xor mode. It
does provide alternative ways of doing things like selection using
QRubberBand. One problem is that using xor does not guarantee you a line
that is clearly visible, depending on the background image or graph.

As a stop-gap measure we could just not draw the lines for devices which
don't support xor mode but do support plGetCursor. I've done this for
the octave examples and it works, but it isn't ideal.

I wonder if it would be better to have a plplot function to select a
rectangle (something like the octave plrb) which could delegate the
drawing of the rectangle to the driver via an escape function? The
drivers could then handle it in the most appropriate way. For the low
level xwin driver this would be via xor, for higher level drivers
such as qtwidget it might use library specific functions. I guess we
would leave xor mode for those drivers which support it, but
depreciate it over time.

Of course, if anyone has any bright ideas how to implement something
like xor mode for some of the other drivers that would be good.

Andrew