Hi Andrew:

I find that with Octave 3.2.4-6 from Debian testing that there are
errors in the p7, p16, p17, p20, and p21  examples.

In particular, if you run

make test_octave_xwin

(which indirectly runs plplot_test/test_octave_interactive.sh(.in)) or

make test_octave_psc

(which indirectly runs plplot_test/test_octave.sh(.in)) you will find
the following error messages:

p7
warning: split is obsolete and will be removed from a future version
of Octave; please use strsplit instead
error: dimension mismatch in argument a
error: called from:
error:   plshade1 at line 4848, column 1
error:
/home/software/plplot_svn/HEAD/plplot_cmake_qt/examples/../bindings/octave/PLplot/shade.m
at line 175, column 3
error:
/home/software/plplot_svn/HEAD/plplot_cmake_qt/examples/octave/p7.m at
line 25, column 3

and similarly for p16, and p20.

p17 has its own special error (note the first two warnings are for
previous examples):

p17
warning: split is obsolete and will be removed from a future version
of Octave; please use strsplit instead
warning: comet: FIXME: axis is 'auto', turning it to 'tight'.
warning: loadimage is obsolete and will be removed from a future
version of Octave; please use imread instead
warning: division by zero
warning: division by zero
warning: division by zero
warning: division by zero

*** PLPLOT WARNING ***
plwind: Invalid window limits in x.

*** PLPLOT WARNING ***
plwind: Invalid window limits in y.

*** PLPLOT ERROR, ABORTING OPERATION ***
plimagefr: nx and ny must be positive, aborting operation

I presume the errors for p7, p16, and p20 are at least partially
generated by your revision 11089 to bindings/octave/PLplot/shade where
you replaced plshade by plshade1. I don't know what causes the
error(s) for p17.

I assume you ran test_octave_xwin or equivalent with your version of
octave with no errors so there is probably a verification issue for these
errors. Note, the recommended standard version of octave according to
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html is 3.2.4, and I
presume the Debian testing version 3.2.4-6 that I have used has only
had bug fixes applied rather than substantial changes to that standard
version.  Therefore, I believe it is likely you will be able to verify
my result if you can upgrade/downgrade your octave version to 3.2.4.

I have temporarily (revision 11094) removed p7, p16, p17, p20, and p21
(the combined example) from these tests so the above two specific test
targets and the corresponding test_interactive and test_noninteractive
targets will complete without errors.  Of course, these examples
should be restored when these issues are fixed.