On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Hezekiah M. Carty
<hezekiahca...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Alan W. Irwin <ir...@beluga.phys.uvic.ca>
> wrote:
>>
>> As a result of my propagation work, I now get consistent results for
>> python and C for both examples 4 and 26.  Others may also want to
>> propagate pllegend to their favorite languages at this time.  However,
>> you should be aware that once Hez and Andrew have propagated pllegend
>> to OCaml and Octave and compared its capabilities with the older
>> legend capabilities for those languages, we might get some suggested
>> changes in the pllegend API out of those comparisons.  If those
>> changes actually occur I am willing to modify my python propagation
>> accordingly, but others may want to wait to propagate pllegend until
>> we get feedback from Hez and Andrew on their experiences with pllegend
>> for OCaml and Octave.
>>

> One suggestion I have for the API is to add a box/outline option for
> the pllegend window (PL_LEGEND_BOX as another option for the opt
> parameter?).  I'm not sure how the color of the box should be added to
> the API - we already get a background color argument, and I'm
> concerned about pllegend's already long argument list becoming longer
> with every new option added.

I have started work on the plcolorbar API.  I don't expect to have it
done today, but it did bring up some API/functionality changes I would
like to propose for pllegend (and use in plcolorbar).

1. I think it is worth considering different ways of expressing the
position of a legend or color bar.  For example, in the OCaml color
bar API, the position of the color bar is specified relative to a
user-specified plot subpage boundary.  This could be done in the C API
with another set of options for the "opt" parameter: PL_LEGEND_TOP,
PL_LEGEND_BOTTOM, PL_LEGEND_LEFT, PL_LEGEND_RIGHT and possibly
PL_LEGEND_CENTER.  The position arguments would then be interpreted as
offsets from the given side.  For example:

PL_LEGEND_BOTTOM | PL_LEGEND_RIGHT : Position the box relative to the
bottom-right of the plot subpage

PL_LEGEND_RIGHT | PL_LEGEND_CENTER : Position the box relative to the
right side of the plot subpage, centered vertically (the y-position
would be ignored in this case)

The default would continue to be PL_LEGEND_TOP | PL_LEGEND_LEFT.  I
expect PL_LEGEND_CENTER to be more commonly used with plcolorbar.

2. Allow a user to specify if they want the legend positioned relative
to the plot window or the plot subpage (PL_LEGEND_PAGE or
PL_LEGEND_WINDOW?).  The position would be (possibly normalized) plot
window coordinates for PL_LEGEND_WINDOW and normalized subpage
coordinates for PL_LEGEND_PAGE.  Sizes/lengths would probably still be
specified as normalized subpage coordinates.

I expect most of the "opt"-appropriate options to be shared between
pllegend and plcolorbar.

If the rest of you feel that these changes are reasonable, I am
willing to make or help make the required changes to the C
implementation of pllegend.

Hez