While trying to create a coarse cross-hatch pattern on a plot, I ran
into an issue with plpat.  When plpat is called, it does not set
plsc->patt, the plot stream's fill-pattern flag.  This flag indicates
that filled polygons should be drawn with the defined pattern rather
than with a solid color.  It took me a while to track the source of
this problem down because the second page of PLplot's example 15 uses
plpat successfully.  The reason this works is because plpsty is called
with a non-zero value before any calls to plpat are made.  plpsty sets
the plsc->patt flag, so the changes made my plpat propagate along to
subsequent fill calls.

The simple fix for this problem is to set the plsc->patt flag in
c_plpat.  My only concern is that this change to plpat may
significantly alter the output of programs using PLplot which are
relying on this seemingly incorrect behavior.  Is it enough to change
plpat to set plsc->patt and add an entry in the release notes
explaining the change?

Another relatively minor issue is that the fill pattern can not be
reset with a call to plpat.  plpsty(0) must be called in order to go
back to drawing with filled polygons.

I have filed a bug report here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3366397&group_id=2915&atid=102915

I'm happy to implement the fix once a decision is made on the best approach.

Hez