On 2013-01-28 17:01-0700 Orion Poplawski wrote:

> Fedora rawhide has moved to gcc 3.8 and I'm seeing:
>
> $ ./x02a -dev psc -o x02a.psc
>
> raised CONSTRAINT_ERROR : x02a.adb:138 overflow check failed
>
> I'm taking that this is due to some increased checking with ada in 3.8.
> Thoughts?

Hi Orion:

I am virtually positive you meant the gcc-4.8 development effort which
(as far as I can tell) has not had a single release yet.  So I am
changing the subject line accordingly.  But please confirm that is
what you meant.

If you meant gcc-4.8, there is always the chance that the symptom you
are seeing is a general problem caused by some recently introduced
version incompatibilty between gcc and Ada that still needs to be
worked out, i.e., a compiler inconsistency issue that has nothing to
do with PLplot development.  On the other hand, it might be a PLplot
Ada issue that has been detected by (presumably) better error checking
for the latest versions of gcc/Ada as you have suggested. To help
decide between those two possibilities, could you give more details?

For example, if you use the make -k option (to keep going despite
errors) are you able to compile all the Ada examples other than the
second one? If the issue is confined to just one of our examples, then
it is much more likely a PLplot Ada issue with that example (or the
API tested with that example) as you have suggested.