I've started this with a new thread title as it had deviated significantly from
the original topic.

Given the suggestion that we streamline the wxWidgets driver I've been looking
into wxGCDC which provides access to wxGraphicsContext but via a wxDC
interface. On my Windows system I can create a wxGCDC using
wxMemoryDC memdc;
//some code to select in an appropriately sized wxBitmap
wxGCDC gcdc(memdc);
//some code to draw on gcdc then blit the result to screen

This works fine giving antialiased results and support for alpha. However there
is a negative which is that wxGCDC does not support subpixel points for line
ends. It also does not support floating point widths for lines, but neither
does wxGraphicsContext so this isn't so much of a problem. I don't see this as
a massive problem. I'm also not sure if linux users can construct a wxGCDC from
a wxMemoryDC as this constructor seems to be wrapped in a #ifdef __WXMSW__,
maybe a linux user can check. If it doesn't work then can you instead create a
wxGraphicsContext from a wxMemoryDC, then create a wxGCDC using the default
constructor and then call SetGraphicsContext? The last hurdle is that when I
pass a wxGCDC to plplot I seem to get a blank screen. In fact even if I draw on
the wxGCDC then pass it to Plplot I still get a blank screen. I'm not sure why,
but I imagine this is fixable.

So I guess to sumarise, if we can live with losing subpixel accuracy and if
Linux users can create wxGCDC from a wxMemoryDC then this should all be
possible.

Phil