On 2014-01-24 12:40-0700 Orion Poplawski wrote:

> On 01/23/2014 08:01 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>
>> @Orion and Andrew: I am especially interested in your comments on the
>> implications of effectively dropping the "d" suffix for most of our
>> distributed library names.
>>

> This just came to me, the pkg-config name has the "d" suffix.  This is
> probably a bigger deal as projects would need to change to use "plplot"
> instead of "plplotd".  Still not insurmountable, but a big deal.

And another change that might be a big deal is that the driversd
install location will become drivers.  So if we decide to go ahead
with this "d" suffix removal breakage we should list all these file
and directory name changes in the OFFICIAL NOTICES right at the top of
the Release notes so only users who skip reading those notices will
get surprised.

So I agree the "d" suffix removal is a big deal, but the benefits of
having non-confusing library names are big as well.  Thus, I would
rather go through this pain this year rather than attempting to do the
same thing 10 years from now.