On 2014-08-20 09:07-0700 phil rosenberg wrote:

> Hi Alan

> Re rebase, and shared topic branches see the second half
of http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Branching-Rebasing. I still don't
fully understand the implications, but it seems that if you branch
from a branch that gets rebased, then you can/will end up with the
same changes being included twice. I'm not sure what the implications
are, whether it just makes for odd and untidy history or if it
actually causes conflicts like trying to apply the same patch twice.

Thanks for that heads up.  I have done some additional research this
morning and all sources are consistent about this warning concerning
rebase workflow.  So I believe it, and my remarks about collaborating with
published topic branches with a rebase workflow should be ignored.

> [... This rebase workflow] might seem restrictive for now, but maybe we
> should see how it
goes for a while and if it is too restrictive then we consider putting
the extra work into a merge workflow.

Agreed.

@Everybody:
Instead of writing a rebase workflow document myself that we could
use, I have been looking for something like that written by someone
else. What do you think of adopting (the quite restrictive) rebase
workflow outlined in
<http://kevinold.com/2013/04/17/my-git-workflow.html> to start?  No
integration branches other than master.  No published topic branches.
But dead simple and very much like our previous svn-based workflow.