On 9/22/2014 3:37 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2014-09-22 12:08-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:
>
>> I think creating a branch on github (or some other public repository) is
>> the only way that you can proceed if you want others to see what you are
>> doing. Though not perhaps ideal, you should be able to rebase master off
>> a public branch.
>
> Since our advice to Phil is completely contradictory, we should get
> this important question of workflow decided for the case of
> experimental topic development work (as opposed to the workflow for
> our more usual less controversial topic development which is normally
> pushed to origin master as soon as the changes by a developer pass his
> own tests).  And once the workflow for this special case of
> experimental development topics is decided, we should document it in
> README.developers.
>
> You are much more experienced with git than me.  However, I thought
> that rebasing a public branch was always a bad idea for the reasons I
> mentioned concerning disappearing commits.  I am positive a number of
> resources I read when we were considering using a rebase workflow
> mentioned this drawback to that approach.
>
> Were those resources overstating the case?

Probably not. However I don't really see a problem with someone pushing
a private branch of PLplot to a public repo and asking others to have a
look and make suggestions, as long as everyone else understands that it
is "read only". Actual collaboration on a branch is going to more
complicated and I have no experience in this area using a rebase
workflow. Exchanging patches sound like as good as an approach as any.

-Hazen