On 2014-10-06 16:21-0000 phil rosenberg wrote:

> I have just commited changes to the Tcl tests an the diff test which
compares the different language outputs to the C outputs.I can now run
the 6 auto generated tests that I get in my Windows build environment
which are the C, C++, Tcl, svn, xfig and compare tests.

> Most of the problems were related to path conversion between Windows
and Cygwin style and escaping out spaces in paths. I've been as
careful as I can to ensure that I haven't caused any problems for
Linux users or Windows users building in the Cygwin or MinGW
environments, but please let me know if the tests stop working
properly on your system and I will try to work out how to get
everything compatible. The Tcl tests have been particularly
problematic as Cygwin Tcl (and I think MSys Tcl) require Windows not
Linux stlye paths, so particularly watch out for the Tcl tests.

Hi Phil:

I strongly recommend that you modify your recent changes so they only
apply for the MSVC platform, i.e., add some

if(WIN32_AND_NOT_CYGWIN AND NOT MSYS)

logic for all your recent changes.

The reason I am making this request is I think any path changes on
either Cygwin and MSYS are absolutely unnecessary since those are
already well-debugged cases.  For example, I have completed
comprehensive testing of PLplot (including Tcl/Tk) before your changes
on MinGW/MSYS/Wine with absolutely no issues (path or otherwise).  I
don't think Arjen's tests on the Cygwin platform are quite as
comprehensive, but they did include Tcl with no obvious path issues
detected before your changes.

So please add logic as above so there are no path changes at all
compared to commit 5ba6591 for the MSYS and Cygwin platform cases.

According to your test results so far, that change will, of course,
give you path trouble for your Cygwin platform test, but since Arjen
sees no such path issues on Cygwin, I strongly suspect the issue there
is your Cygwin setup for the tests. For example, are you using the
Cygwin version of CMake for your Cygwin platform tests?  It has been
strongly recommended for years on the CMake lists that Cygwin users
should use that version of CMake rather than the pure native Windows
version of CMake that you can download from Kitware.  So if you are
using the wrong version of CMake for your Cygwin platform testing,
then this might well be the source of your path issues on that
platform.

Similarly, I have been comprehensively testing the MSYS case (and
Arjen has been doing less extensive testing of that platform) all
along without path issues so the commit 5ba6591 behaviour should also
be definitely restored for the MSYS with the above suggested logic.

Of course, if you want to confirm that MSYS is fine with commit
5ba6591 behaviour (as implemented by narrowing your changes so they
only apply for the MSVC case) then I would recommend you download
MinGW/MSYS and test that case just like I do.  (Note, that in contrast
to the Cygwin platform case where the Cygwin version of CMake must be
used, the correct CMake version to use for MinGW/MSYS platform testing
is the native Windows CMake version that you can download from Kitware
rather than the Cygwin version.)

Of course, the above logic change still means your path changes will
be applied for the MSVC case.  I assume for this case you are using
the correct CMake native Windows version (i.e., not the Cygwin version
of CMake) as recommended for the MSVC platform.  In other words, I
assume your test setup is correct for the MSVC platform, and your path
changes are therefore necessary for this platform which prior to your
efforts has not received nearly the comprehensive testing that has
occurred for the Cygwin and MSYS platform cases.