In the src/pdfutils.c file (pdf = portable data files) there exists functions
that allocate, free, and find the min/max for 2d matrices.  The functions do
not read or write any data files and these functions are used in

src/plot3d.c
src/plvect.c
src/plimage.c
src/pllegend.c
src/plgradient.c
./bindings/f95/scstubs.c
./bindings/f95/sccont.c
./bindings/f95/sc3d.c
./bindings/c++/plstream.h
./bindings/c++/plstream.cc
./bindings/d/plplot.d
./bindings/tcl/tclAPI.c
./bindings/swig-support/plplotcapi.i
./bindings/ocaml/plplot_h
./bindings/ocaml/plplot_impl.c

The purpose of src/pdfutils.c is to provide file I/O functions (plmeta uses
pdf_utils) not to provide memory allocation.  I would like to move them to a
new file, for example src/plmem.c.

Also, I would like to rewrite plAlloc2dGrid to use only one alloc because the
multiple alloc algorithm that is currently used is unnecessary, slower, and on
some OSes results in a fragmented heap.  Also, by using one alloc call,
plFree2dGrid needs only one free.