Hi Phil:

Your static library point is well taken, but that is a head-scratcher.
Because right now wxPLViewer depends on plplotcxx (see
the same bit of code in utils/CMakeLists.txt), and that library
depends on plplot.  So then if you add an extra dependency of plplot
on wxPLViewer for the static case ==> circular dependencies which
is obviously not allowed.

On 2015-02-16 12:50-0000 Phil Rosenberg wrote:

> Also, during development I might make a change to wxPLViewer, then
> run an example in the IDE to test that. If wxPLViewer is a dependency
> of the example then it will get rebuilt automatically. Otherwise I
> have to manually rebuild wxPLViewer for my changes to take effect

You don't want every example automatically depending on wxPLViewer since
in the vast majority of cases that would be an unneeded dependency.

Instead we want to establish a test case that depends on wxPLViewer so
you can use that test case to test any wxPLViewer changes.

Is the current test target "test_c_wxwidgets" already suitable as
that test case?  It samples about ~7 of the standard examples.

In fact, I just tried that test target (which worked for me after your large
push to master), and your last push to master (316a61 Set page advance
key in wxPLViewer...) appears to have introduced a regression for
example 8.  Breaking the issue down further

software@raven> examples/c/x01c -dev wxwidgets

works fine, and hitting enter terminates that plot with no issues which
was one of the desired goals of your commit.

But I get the following warning message immediately from example 8

software@raven> examples/c/x08c -dev wxwidgets
*** PLPLOT WARNING ***
Error creating memory map for wxWidget instruction transmission. The
plots will not be displayed

I assume you tested example 8 (or something similar with multiple
pages) so I suspect your latest commit may be incomplete.

Anyhow, please fix.