On Feb 21, 2015, at 4:59 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> On 2015-02-21 20:53-0000 Phil Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> Basically the rebase workflow is causing me some real problems trying
>> to use multiple machines to test my changes. I have a Windows laptop,
>> which is my main machine, then I have also been trying to test on my
>> work Centos PC and my Ubuntu PC. To do so I have to share my main
>> repository from my Windows Laptop with the other computers. However,
>> every time I rebase a branch to commit it I end up unable to push to
>> my Linux computers because history that they depend upon has been
>> rewritten. This is becoming a real pain.
>>
>> I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions?
>
> The git format-patch and git am method has recently worked well to
> share experimental development work from one of your computers to
> mine. So why not use that exact method also when sharing experimental
> development work between your various computers?

Hi, Phil,

In addition to Alan's suggestion, another approach would be to setup a local
bare git repo that all your local machines could push/pull to/from.  You could
use this repo to share your (not yet rebased) topic branch among your local
machines.  When you are ready to rebase your topic branch, you would do so on
one of your machines and then push the rebased branch.  The other machines
could then be brought up to date by fetching the rebased branch.  This can work
because git repositories can have more than one "remote" that they push/pull
from/to.  The remote for the cloned-from repo is usually called "origin", but
you can add additional remotes to any repository.  See "git help remote" for
more details.

Out of curiosity, how did you handle this situation when using Subversion?

Thanks,
Dave