On 2015-03-04 13:09-0500 Jim Dishaw wrote:

> The reason I ask is because plpoin and plsym use symht/symdef and the
> plstring documentation mentions that it supersedes those two functions.
>
> The plstring function passes the string to plP_text to render the text and
> plP_text uses chrht/chrdef.  The plpoin and plsym use plhersh, which changes
> chrdef/chrht to symdef/symht before calling plP_text.
>
> I'm not sure what the intended behavior for plstring is supposed to be;
> however, it would be useful to document the behavior.

See
<http://plplot.sourceforge.net/docbook-manual/plplot-html-5.10.0/plstring.html>
for such documentation.  Also, if you look at the plstring
implementation in src/plsym.c you will see it calls plptex internally
so enjoys all the unicode text capabilities of plptex.  Therefore, for
unicode-aware devices plstring has access to essentially all system
glyphs that are accessible via unicode-aware fonts which is a huge
advantage over plpoin and plsym which have access to only a small set
of system glyphs for unicode-aware devices and only the Hershey glyphs
for devices which are not unicode aware.  It's for these reasons that
I have characterized plstring as superseding both plpoin and plsym in
the documentation.  Note that plpoin and plsym are not officially deprecated at
this time but fairly far into the future we will likely want to do
that.