Hi Norman
I have wondered the same thing myself. I did some work with direct2d
recently and wondered if there would be any performance gain using a
hardware accelerated rendering with plplot. Presumably hardware
accelerating the 3d work would give a speed increase, but this would
mean some quite deep changes to the plplot core. I'm not sure of the
benefit when using 2d rendering.

wxWidgets includes a wxGLCanvas class. Creating a wxDC which drew on a
wxGLCanvas or a plain openGL canvas would give you openGL rendering of
2d forms which can be used by plplot with essentially no changes to
the plplot code.

If it's of interest give it a go!

Phil