Would you run the example in the debugger and set a breakpoint in plP_text and
send me a hexdump of the contents of *string?  A backtrace would also be handy.

> On Mar 19, 2015, at 11:22 AM, Orion Poplawski <or...@cora.nwra.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/18/2015 10:48 PM, Jim Dishaw wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 18, 2015, at 11:18 PM, Orion Poplawski <or...@cora.nwra.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The check in the plplot package for the octave bindings is failing in
>>> Fedora rawhide.  I point my finger at gcc 5.0.0 :), but I have no idea
>>> what is going on so just putting this out there.
>>>
>>> plplot uses a swig generated interface for the octave wrapper.  By the
>>> time the swig wrapper is calling the plplot C function I'm seeing UTF8
>>> string pointers pointing to garbage (or perhaps just off by a byte, who
>>> knows).
>>>
>>> I've rebuilt swig, then octave, but no avail.  So, I have no idea what
>>> is going on.
>>>
>>> test ouput is like:
>>>
>>> 5: x33c
>>> 5:
>>> 5: *** PLPLOT WARNING ***
>>> 5: Driver does not support native gradients, switching to software
>>> fallback gradient.
>>> 5:
>>> 5:
>>> 5: *** PLPLOT ERROR, ABORTING OPERATION ***
>>> 5: UTF-8 string is malformed: �*���*, aborting operation
>>> 5:
>>> 5: *** PLPLOT ERROR, ABORTING OPERATION ***
>>> 5: UTF-8 string is malformed: ��c��*, aborting operation