On 2015-04-24 10:12-0600 Orion Poplawski wrote:

> It appears that due to the way the plplot cmake config file is currently
> constructed, in order to do a:
>
> find_package(plplot)
>
> You must have *every* built component installed or you get errors like:
>
> CMake Error at /usr/lib64/cmake/plplot/export_plplot.cmake:163 (message):
>  The imported target "plplot_octave" references the file
>
>     "/usr/lib64/octave/site/oct/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu/plplot_octave.oct"
>
>  but this file does not exist.  Possible reasons include:
>

> And similar for:
>     "/usr/lib64/libplplotada.so.2.0.0"
>     "/usr/lib64/lua/5.3/plplot/plplotluac.so"
>     "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/plplot_pyqt4.so"
>     "/usr/lib64/libplf95demolib.a"
>

> For Fedora packaging we like to be able to split up packages based on
> dependencies so that people don't have to install components and dependencies
> that they don't need.
>
> I understand that the find_package config interface can take a COMPONENTS
> argument.  I don't know anything about how that is implemented, but perhaps
> that could be used to allow this?

Hi Orion:

As a result of the current way we export targets,
the files you should find in /usr/lib64/cmake/plplot/ are

export_plplot-noconfig.cmake,  export_plplot.cmake,  and plplotConfig.cmake

>From the documentation, find_package(plplot) in Config mode accesses
the plplotConfig.cmake file which then includes the
export_plplot.cmake file.  (Apparently export_plplot-noconfig.cmake is
not used for the present way we export our targets.)

I assume what you are trying to do is make a fully-loaded build of
PLplot and then split up the results into a bunch of different binary
packages, but if you look at export_plplot.cmake (which generated the
above error message) you can see the problem; it loops over all PLplot
targets that were exported in the fully-loaded build of PLplot and
errors out on the targets which you have attempted to split into
separate binary components.

Since split binary targets have been around from the early days of
rpm, I am pretty sure that CMake supports that idea when exporting
targets, but I currently don't know how to take advantage of such
CMake functionality if it exists.  So I will ask a question on the
CMake list about this.