Hi Hazen:

On 2015-05-13 11:46-0400 Hazen Babcock wrote:

> Hello Alan, Arjen,
>
> As I mentioned before, the FPE's in x25c, x30c and x33c are all coming from
> the notcrossed() function in plfill.c. Hopefully you can provide some insight
> as the authors. Basically the problem arises in a situation where the two
> lines do not cross, but are not parallel.
> In this situation this function
> still calculates the x,y intersection. However, depending on the position and
> orientation of the two lines this intersection can be way outside the range
> of values that can be represented using (4 byte) integers. Do you recall if
> functions that call this function expect to receive a valid intersection
> point in this case? Or is it ok to just return zero?

Hi Hazen:

I have reviewed plfill.c, and the returned intersection from
notcrossed is only used when status is zero.  So I have (commit ID =
b916d4b) considerably simplified noncrossed to do the PLINT
transformation of the intersection and return those values _only_ when
status = 0.

This change solved all fpe problem for examples 25 and 30, but there
are remaining fpe issues for fortran examples 21 and 33.  The logic in
noncrossed is pretty bullet-proof now so my prediction is those
remaining fpe issues are completely independent of notcrossed or else
there is a non-initialized variable somewhere in fortran examples 21
and 33. But I look forward to your definitive conclusion concerning
those remaining fpe issues.