On 2015-07-10 17:12-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> On 2015-07-10 23:27+0100 Andrew Ross wrote:
>

>> I've built and run the non-interactive octave tests and they complete with
>> no errors using octave-3.8.2 on Ubuntu 15.04 (vivid). I did have some
>> build errors, but that was just related to the hdf5.h header being in a
>> new location.
>
> Hi Andrew:
>
> The current status of the Cygwin octave-3.8.2 issue is
> Arjen discovered the problem was an assumption in our scripts
> concerning the location of the plplot_octave.oct dll for the Windows
> case, and I am in the middle of fixing that assumption.
>
> However, once I get that fix done, if Arjen runs into additional issues
> it is good to know that PLplot basically works for octave-3.8.2
> so many thanks for proving that.
>
> With regard to the hdf5.h location issue you discovered on Ubuntu,
> could you please make the required small adjustment to
> cmake/modules/octave.cmake using PATH_SUFFIXES on the find_path
> command so that it finds hdf5.h preferentially in the traditional
> location (/usr/include/hdf5.h), but if it is not found there it looks
> in the subdirectory of that location which is appropriate for Ubuntu
> (and probably also later versions of Debian than I have at the
> moment).

To Andrew, Arjen and Greg:

@Andrew: You referred above to an hdf5.h issue on Ubuntu.  Please make the
suggested upstream build-system fix so no Ubuntu PLplot builder
runs into that issue.

Also, could you please run

scripts/comprehensive_test.sh --do_test_interactive no

on your Ubuntu platform and send me the resulting report tarball,
../comprehensive_test_disposeable/comprehensive_test.tar.gz ?

Running that script (with --do_test_interactive no) should be
essentially painless (except possibly if you are short of disk space),
and that test report on one of our most important platforms would be
most useful.

The current status of octave on Cygwin is Arjen can now build the
octave (3.8.2) binding of PLplot without issues, and all the "p"
octave examples work, and "x" examples 00 through 19 work as well.
However, he did encounter a segfault for the 20th example.
Greg's recent report for the same platform confirms that
segfault for octave example 20 issue.

Your above good Ubuntu results for octave 3.8.2, and some excellent
results I have just now (commit 338492f) achieved for the
test_noninteractive target of an epa_built plplot_lite that depends on
epa_built octave-3.8.2 supports the hypothesis that the segfault issue
Arjen has found and which Greg confirmed is likely nothing to do with
octave-3.8.2, and is instead some Windows or Cygwin issue with our
Octave-related code or with the octave-3.8.2 Cygwin build or
packaging.

@Arjen and Greg: since it appears to be impossible for Linux users to
replicate the segfault issue you guys are encountering, I think the
only way forward for you is to debug this issue on Cygwin.

To help simplify that debugging process you should locally modify
plplot_test/test_octave.sh.in to remove all examples other than x20.
After that, "make test_octave_psc" should just execute the 20th octave
example.  Once you have achieved that, then proceed with old-fashioned
debugging, i.e., locally modify examples/octave/x20c.m to output
additional results to localize which octave command is generating
the segfault, and then to dump all arguments of that command.

In off-list discussion with Arjen we have proved to our mutual
satisfication via md5sum, that the git checkout of the lena.pgm file
(used by example 20) is identical in the two cases.  In other words,
git is treating this file (as expected) as a binary file rather than a
text file (with accompanying bit flips due to line ending issues). We
have also looked at the octave fopen command that opens this file in
x20c.m. However, if your preliminary analysis to discover which octave
command in x20c.m segfaults indicates the problem could be in the lena
data that is read in, then it would be good to double check by dumping
some parts of that file from within the example.

In any case, I would be happy to run any x20c.m you guys have modified
to dump out results to give you a Linux versus Cygwin comparison of
those dumped results.

Good luck with the bug hunt, and let me know how it goes.